Precautions to take during a thunderstorm
Take shelter and stay safe by following these safety tips during a thunderstorm
With the recent thunderstorms and heavy winds in our area, it is important to be alert and take care during such conditions, both indoors and outdoors.
Here are a few precaution tips one can take when a heavy thunderstorm occurs:
- If you’re planning an outdoors trip, postpone the trip or any activities that include being outdoors to a more suitable time.
- Avoid driving during stormy conditions. Roads will be slippery and wet during bad weather conditions
- Always try to go indoors when there is a heavy thunderstorm
- If you cannot find suitable shelter, get in a car with a metal roof and sides. Make sure all windows are rolled up and doors are closed.
- Keep away from concrete floors or walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through plumbing.
- Switch off all electronic equipment. This includes television sets, kitchen appliances, radios, etc. Lightning can travel through electrical systems.
- Bring your pets indoors. Doghouses and other pet shelters are not suitable protection against lightning strikes
- Stay away from isolated objects such as trees and light posts.
- If you are fishing or swimming, get out of the water immediately, and move away from the body of water. Being near water is extremely dangerous during a lightning storm.
Emergency storm tips
What to do and don't when a storm strikes.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and table to items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioner on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove Orientals or other colored rugs from wet wall to wall carpeting.
- Remove valuable paintings and art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Open suitcases and luggage to dry, in sunlight, if possible.
- Pick up loose items, toys, ECT. off of floors.
- Leave wet fabrics in place; dry as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors.
- Use your house hold vacuum to remove water.
- Use TVs or other house hold appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceiling are sagging from retained water.
Roof collapse in El Cajon, CA
the damage roof was caused by a storm
The storm hit El Cajon, CA hard in 2018 leaving one couple with a big hole in their roof. The owner was devastated and called SERVPRO right away. In the picture you can see the extent of how the bad the damage was. We came in and started the restoration immediately
Water damage can cause headaches for homeowners, both immediately after the damage occurs and in the long run. From floods to leaky faucets, water damage is a serious pain, and can cause major health and safety issues. SERVPRO of El Cajon employees are IICRC certified and is professional trained. They move quickly and make sure you are informed with every steps. SERVPRO will come in and make the disaster "Like it never even happened." We here at SERVPRO strive to do our best.
When Storms or Floods hit El Cajon, CA, SERVPRO is ready
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in El Cajon, CA
SERVPRO ofEl Cajon specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit El Cajon, CA, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams, that are strategically located through out the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today SERVPRO Of El Cajon 619-447-7776 We will come in and make it look "Like it never even happened."