Precautions to take during a thunderstorm
With the recent thunderstorms and heavy winds in our area, it is important to be alert and take care during such conditions, both indoors and outdoors.
Here are a few precaution tips one can take when a heavy thunderstorm occurs:
- If you’re planning an outdoors trip, postpone the trip or any activities that include being outdoors to a more suitable time.
- Avoid driving during stormy conditions. Roads will be slippery and wet during bad weather conditions
- Always try to go indoors when there is a heavy thunderstorm
- If you cannot find suitable shelter, get in a car with a metal roof and sides. Make sure all windows are rolled up and doors are closed.
- Keep away from concrete floors or walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through plumbing.
- Switch off all electronic equipment. This includes television sets, kitchen appliances, radios, etc. Lightning can travel through electrical systems.
- Bring your pets indoors. Doghouses and other pet shelters are not suitable protection against lightning strikes
- Stay away from isolated objects such as trees and light posts.
- If you are fishing or swimming, get out of the water immediately, and move away from the body of water. Being near water is extremely dangerous during a lightning storm.